All Australian states and territories have now abandoned a trial of online NAPLAN tests this year due to technical glitches that could disadvantage students, The Age reports.
Students who were set to take part in the online trial next month will now sit pen and paper tests.
The roll out of the online literacy and numeracy test is in disarray, with the Victorian, Western Australian and ACT governments announcing on Wednesday that they would withdraw from the trial, and South Australian and Queensland ditching it earlier this month.
NSW, Tasmania and the Northern Territory had always planned to roll it out at a later stage.
Victorian Education Minister James Merlino said he was not confident that students would have a “positive experience” with the online test.
“Recent testing indicates that this could affect students’ ability to complete the tests,” he said.
“The last thing we want is students being unable to demonstrate their numeracy and literacy skills because of technological faults.”
Power failures, freezing, browser issues and broken internet connections plagued initial trials of the online NAPLAN tests, according to a report by principals.
The online test will be gradually rolled out over a three-year period, and about 10 per cent of schools were expected to take part in its trail this year.
The Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority chief executive Robert Randall said it was disappointing that the five states and territories were no longer moving to online NAPLAN this year.
“I respect the decision of states and territories to delay transition to allow more time to gain a greater level of confidence for the move online,” he said.
He said states and territories were still committed to moving online by 2019, and would start that process next year.
The switch to online testing will mean speedier results for parents and schools.