The chief executive of the company behind an aged care facility where a resident was violently abused by an employee has denied there are systemic issues or a “culture of impunity” among staff, despite nearly 300 reports being made to authorities over more than four years, WA Today reports.
But Japara’s Andrew Sudholz reiterated his apology to the family of Clarence Hausler, who was abused at Adelaide’s Mitcham Residential Care Facility, and said he had let them down.
Mr Sudholz was called as a witness at the second day of the Perth hearings of the aged care royal commission last month, answering questions surrounding the case of Mr Hausler, who was bedridden and suffered dementia when he was abused by Corey Lucas in September 2015.
Noleen Hausler detailed how her vulnerable 89 year old father who had dementia was assaulted.
The video was given to police and Lucas was later jailed over the assault.
Ms Hausler gave evidence of her late father’s treatment as a case study on Monday and said she believed management culture at the centre resulted in Mr Hausler’s quality of life suffering. Outside court she called for CCTV to be installed in aged care facility rooms.
Senior counsel assisting the commission Peter Rozen QC quizzed Mr Sudholz on management’s response to Ms Hausler’s concerns about her father’s treatment, as well as almost 300 reports Japara made to the Department of Health between September 2015 and May this year.
But Mr Sudholz said the 298 reports over 4½ years were “allegations of suspected abuse” and there had been fewer than 100 substantiated cases of assault, with Mr Hausler’s case a criminal incident.