Sunday , January 20 2019
Home > Aged care > Maggots found on woman

Maggots found on woman

A woman whose mother was found with maggots in her mouth at a nursing home near Newcastle is calling for mandatory reporting standards for such incidents, ABC News reports.

Shirley Carter died at the Opal Raymond Terrace Gardens nursing home in October 2016, and her daughter Jayne has since raised serious concerns about her care.

She said she was horrified when late in October last year, a manager told her she needed to discuss something.

“I went into her office and she said, “We’re really sorry to have to tell you this, we’re a bit embarrassed about it, but we found maggots in your mother’s mouth”.

“And I kind of went somewhere else, into shock, really, because the only way maggots get places is, they’re attracted to decay, they’re attracted to rotting things.”

Shirley Carter died the next day. Ms Carter said she was told to keep quiet.

“She said to me, ‘Oh, it’s probably better if you don’t say anything to anybody, because you know how these kind of things can be blown out of proportion'”.

“I was really angry after that.”

Ms Carter complained to the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner and was later offered an apology by Opal.

Opal has told the ABC its high palliative care standards were not followed at the time.

“Staff were terminated, but it was the management of the home that was terminated,” Opal’s managing director, Gary Barnier, said.

He said the company would welcome an inquest into Ms Carter’s death.


Call for more scrutiny in aged care, after maggots found on woman in nursing home north of Newcastle (ABC News)